burn-permitA burning permit is required for any open burning that exceeds the definition of a campfire. Permits can be obtained by visiting City Hall.  Permits are issued for a 3-day period and cost $15.

Any person who is burning must have the permit available at the burn site for inspection.  The only materials that can be burned by permit are vegetative material such as grass, leaves, brush and untreated lumber. The permit will also point out fire safety and air quality requirements, as well as prohibited materials that cannot be burned. You can burn with a permit from 6:00am to 7:00pmPrevailing winds shall be less than 15 m.ph. 

Prohibited Burning Materials are:
Hazard waste, industrial solid waste, demolition debris or commercial or institutional structures, salvage operations, motor vehicles, oils, rubber, plastics, chemically treated materials, and other materials which produce excessive, or noxious smoke such as, but not limited to, tires, railroad ties, chemically-treated lumber, composite board, sheetrock, wiring, paint, or paint filters. This would also include garbage which is defined as a discarded material resulting from the handling, processing, storage, preparation, serving, or consumption of food.

Burning Permit Exceptions:

  • A burning permit is not needed when the ground has a continuous unbroken cover of snow, to a depth of three inches or more, surrounding the immediate area of the fire sufficient to keep the fire from spreading.
  • A burning permit is not needed for a campfire when it is a means a fire set for cooking or warming.  Campfires / Recreational fires need to follow the below requirements:
  • Fires shall not exceed 3'x3' with a 3' flame height
  • Fires shall not be conducted within 25 feet of a structure or combustible material unless contained in a barbecue pit. Conditions that could cause a fire to spread to within 25 feet of a structure shall be eliminated before ignition.
  • Only unpainted/untreated wood or charcoal may be burned.
  • You cannot burn chemically treated fireplace logs (such as "Dura-flame"), leaves, grass clippings, vegetation from the garden, any woods that have been treated such as plywood or particle, board, 2x4s, etc.
  • Prevailing winds shall be less than 15 m.p.h. and shall not direct smoke toward other nearby residences. 
  • Buckets, shovels, or garden hoses shall be readily available for use at the recreational fire.
  • An adult knowledgeable in the use of fire extinguishing equipment shall constantly attend recreational fires. This adult shall supervise the recreational fire until the fire has been extinguished.
  • A burning permit is not needed for ceremonial purposes, which is not more than three feet in diameter by three feet high. 

Burning Bans
Visit the Minnesota Department of Natural Resource's website to see when burning bans are in affect.

Download the Rogers Burn Permit here.

Call City Hall at 763-428-2253 for more information.

Contact Us

Brad Feist
Fire Chief