1. Call to Order. The regular work session of the Council of the City of Rogers was called to order by Acting Mayor Ihli on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 at 5:35 p.m. at Rogers Community Center, 21201 Memorial Drive, Rogers, MN, 55374.
Council present: Don Hall, Rick Ihli, and Maureen Stanley.
Member excused: Darren Jakel and Jay Bunting.
Staff present: Jeff Beahen, Police Chief; Gary Buysse, Liquor Operations Manager; Brad Feist, Fire Chief; John Seifert, Public Works Supt.; Stacy Scharber, Assistant City Administrator; Steve Stahmer, City Administrator; Bret Weiss, City Engineer; and Lisa Wieland, Finance Director.
2. Rouillard Properties Discussion
Attorney Carson reviewed his memo with Council highlighting the following:
• In 2005, Council authorized staff to prepare QCD and sell the strip of property to abutting owners; approx. 35 x 90 feet
• 11 parcels affected, only 4 responded and paid, only one QCD was filed
• The recommendation, following staff review and discussion, is to have the City Council authorize transfer of the property in question at no cost to the owners and to reimburse those that have paid money to the City.
• Clean up the lots on the north side of Rouillard Blvd. by adding part of Outlot C to each lot
• Maintaining easement over Outlot C for drainage purposes; storm water pipe
• There is cost to plat the property, not a tremendous cost, internal staff time
• Key is to convince all best way to solve the issue
• Have the assessor write a statement not increasing taxable market value
• We will, however, need to convince all owners to accept this additional property so that there may be a legal transfer of ownership.
Council questioned the length of the process. Staff stated they would hold a neighborhood meeting to present this to the property owners.
Staff also recommended that the current property owners of record are reimbursed for the initial purchase.
Hall moved, Stanley seconded to have staff proceed with the process as described by Attorney Carson. Motion carried 3-0.
3. Scannell Properties LLC Developer's Agreement Discussion
Administrator Stahmer stated there are some verbal updates that will be made to the agreements as they are reviewed with the Council. Stahmer stated the list of the items that the Council will be considering includes the following as part of the Scannell Properties Agreement:
1. Development Agreement with Scannell
2. Scannell Petition and Waiver (Rogers Drive)
3. Henry Assessment Petition and Waiver
4. Outlot A Assessment Petition and Waiver
5. Vevea Deferred Assessment Agreement
6. Vevea Roadway/Utility Easement
7. (Vevea Billboard Easement - Separate Action)
8. Henry/Scannell Driveway Access Agreement (private agreement to be provided by Scannell)
9. Henry/Kinghorn Roadway/Utility Easement Agreement
10. Henry/Kinghorn Ponding Easement Agreement
Stahmer directed Council's attention to exhibit L of the Development Agreement and proceeded through the document. There was discussion on trail fees and the future cost of the trail. Also discussed is the amount of the road improvements (Rogers Drive) that the City may need to bond for.
The agreements were discussed in order following the Scannell Development Agreement. Also discussed was the resolution that the Council will be acting on; the resolution which approves the main Scannell Development Agreement and all the exhibits (subsequent agreements).
Hall asked for opinion of Attorney Carson that we are ok with the agreements as prepared. Jenny Boulton with Kennedy and Graven arrived at 6:15 to answer any questions from Council. The following items were reviewed with Council:
• Staff clarified item #3 of the Henry Petition and Waiver Agreement
• Vevea assessments and amount deferred and the process at the time of development
• Vevea agreement #11 language; having the same language uniform across all agreements
• Language that would speak to Green Acres as it relates to assessments
No action taken; action will be taken at the City Council meeting.
4. Other Business
Engineer Weiss provided an update on the Washington DC trip Council is taking April 30 to May 3rd. The "hit list" was covered with the Council that was previously discussed at the transportation task force committee.
No action taken.
Stanley moved, Hall seconded a motion to adjourn at 6:44 p.m. Motion carried 3-0.
Assistant City Administrator/Clerk