1. Call to Order. The regular meeting of the Council of the City of Rogers was called to order by Mayor Bunting on Tuesday, November 12, 2013 at 7:00 p.m. at Rogers Community Center, 21201 Memorial Drive, Rogers, MN, 55374.
Council present: Jay Bunting, Don Hall, Rick Ihli, Darren Jakel, and Maureen Stanley.
Staff present: Jeff Beahen, Police Chief; Gary Buysse, Liquor Operations Manager; Jeff Carson, City Attorney; Stacy Scharber, Assistant City Administrator; John Seifert, Public Works Supt.; Steve Stahmer, City Administrator; Bret Weiss, City Engineer; and Lisa Wieland, Finance Director.
2. Open ForumNo discussion.
3. Presentations3.01 Presentation by Word of Peace (Karen Running)Karen Running from Word of Peace was present and provided a hand out to Council on their involvement in the Community. Running stated the church continues to be big supporters of Cross food shelf stating they are donating an additional $14,000 given from proceeds from their building fund. Running read through the list handed to Council and gave a brief explanation of the activities happening at Word of Peace.
Jakel stated they are doing a great job and it's nice to see Word of Peace and other churches in the community stepping up and helping the community together. Jakel also commented on the use of the sanctuary for community purposes.
Council thanked Running for the presentation.
3.02 Swearing in Corbin BatemanChief Beahen provided background on Officer Corbin Bateman who comes to Rogers with 24 years of law enforcement experience. Beahen commented on the police department coming together to support their fellow officers.
Mayor Bunting swore in new officer Corbin Bateman and Shannon Bateman was invited forward to pin on Corbin's badge.
4. Approve AgendaThe agenda was set with the following additions under Other Business:8.01 Setting a November 26th work session at 6:00 p.m.8.02 Council/Staff retreat for early 2014
5. Consent Agenda5.01 Approval of Minutes from October 22, 2013 Council Work Session, October 22, 2013 City Council Meeting, October 29, 2013 City Council Special Meeting and November 6, 2013 City Council Special Meeting5.02 Approval of Bills and Claims5.03 2014 Siren Maintenance Contract with Embedded Systems, Inc.5.04 Approval of Resolution No. 2013-72, A Resolution Approving Classification Of Tax-Forfeited Lands As Non-Conservation Land – Lot 8, Block 3, Fletcher Hills Addition5.05 2013 Audit Engagement Letter5.06 Approve a Proposal for Engineering Services related to Watermain/Sanitary Design & Construction for the TH 101 and CSAH 144 Interchange Project.5.07 Approve Change Order No. 1 for the Rogers Drive Trail Improvements Project5.08 Approval of Resolution No. 2013-73, A Resolution Restricting Parking Along 141st Avenue (CSAH 144) from Northdale Boulevard to Rogers Drive/James Road5.09 Approval of Communication Conduit Installation Services Contract5.10 Approval of Resolution No. 2013-74, A Resolution of Support for Cost Participation with MNDOT for 101/144 Project5.11 Approval of Resolution No. 2013-75, A Resolution Hiring Corbin Bateman as a Full Time Police Officer5.12 Approval Resolution No. 2013-76, A Resolution Certifying Public Employee Retirement Association Police Officer Declaration – Corbin Bateman5.13 Approval of School District Contract for School Liaison Services5.14 Approval of Resolution No. 2013-77, A Resolution Authorizing an Increase in the Annual Pension Benefit Level for the Active Members of the Fire Department from $2,750 to $2,875 For Calendar Year 20145.15 Reschedule 2nd Meeting in December to Monday, Dec. 23rd5.01 was pulled by Bunting.Hall moved, Ihli seconded a motion to approve the consent agenda less 5.01. Motion carried 5-0.
5.01Jakel moved, Ihli seconded a motion to approve 5.01. Motion carried 3-0-2; Bunting and Stanley abstained because of their absence from the meeting(s).
6. Public HearingsNone.
7. General Business7.01 Award Contract to Pierce Manufacturing Inc. to Build One Heavy Rescue TruckStahmer stated staff and Council have discussed at length about the proposed heavy rescue at a workshop last week and another workshop earlier tonight. The approximate cost is $560,000 which includes firefighter equipment (SCBA tanks, and miscellaneous equipment). To meet the timeline for current pricing, the contract would need to be signed by December 1st. Stahmer stated the memo provided to Council includes a breakdown of what is included in the $560,000; including a smaller chassis and a cascade system to fill the new 4500 psi tanks.
Chief Feist stated the Mayor made some great points at the work shop regarding bringing the truck online in September 2014. Feist also commented on the pull tabs helping with $165,000 of the cost.
Mayor Bunting stated this item was discussed at length at the workshop preceding the meeting.
Bunting stated this purchase has to happen this year or next. By purchasing it one year early, we know we are getting 2011 pricing; a 9% savings minimum by ordering the truck this year. To put this off by one year does not make a lot of sense from a financial standpoint even though it is not critical to purchase this year.
Ihli stated it makes him nervous to spend this amount of money and added that Feist did a good job in swaying him.
Hall stated, as he said earlier, he appreciates the information brought forward today and it makes sense to save the money versus risking future unknowns.
Jakel stated the public safety committee has discussed this a number of times, with that being said he will make the motion.
Jakel moved, Ihli seconded a motion to approve the contract with Pierce Manufacturing Inc. to manufacture a Heavy Duty Rescue Vehicle for the City of Rogers Fire Department and authorize Mayor Jay Bunting, City Administrator Steve Stahmer, and Fire Chief Brad Feist to execute the contract. Motion carried 5-0.
8. Other Business8.01 Setting a November 26th work session at 6:00 p.m.Stanley moved, Hall seconded a motion setting a Council work session for 6:00 p.m. on November 26, 2013 at the Community Room. Motion carried 5-0.
8.02 Council/Staff retreat for early 2014Bunting asked Council to consider a Council/Staff retreat in the first part of January or the later part of February. Bunting asked that Council review their calendars and schedule a date at the next meeting.
Council agreed to schedule a retreat and stated January is a good month.
9. Correspondence and Reports9.01 October Police Report9.02 Minutes for the October 21, 2013 Transportation Task Force MeetingNo action taken.
10. AdjournJakel moved, Ihli seconded a motion to adjourn at 7:22 p.m. Motion carried 5-0.
Stacy ScharberAssistant City Administrator/Clerk