1. Call to Order. The regular meeting of the Council of the City of Rogers was called to order by Mayor Bunting on Tuesday, August 27, 2013 at 7:00 p.m. at Rogers Community Center, 21201 Memorial Drive, Rogers, MN, 55374.
Council present: Jay Bunting, Don Hall, Rick Ihli, Darren Jakel, and Maureen Stanley.
Staff present: Jeff Beahen, Police Chief; Brad Feist, Fire Chief; Stacy Scharber, Assistant City Administrator; John Seifert, Public Works Supt.; Steve Stahmer, City Administrator; John Thames, City Attorney; Bret Weiss, City Engineer; and Lisa Wieland, Finance Director.
2. Open ForumNo discussion.
4. Approve AgendaBunting stated 5.07 was pulled prior to the meeting by staff and a second item is being added under closed session.
5. Consent Agenda5.01 Approval of Minutes from August 13, 2013 City Council Meeting5.02 Approval of Bills and Claims5.03 Approval of Minnesota Lawful Gambling Permit for Rogers Youth Hockey Association to Conduct a Raffle at the Rogers Activity Center, Located at 21080 141st Ave. N., on December 8, 20135.04 Approval of Resolution No. 2013-44, A Resolution Moving the Regular Meeting of the Rogers Planning Commission to the Third Tuesday of Each Month5.05 Approval of a Special Event Permit for Word of Peace – Box City on Sat., Oct. 5, 20135.06 Approval of a Temporary On-Sale Liquor License for the Rogers Lions at the North Community Park for Sept. 20 – 22, 2013 State Softball Tournament5.07 Authorization for Acceptance of Donated Right-of-Way for North Tilton Trail5.08 Setting Budget Workshop Session for Sept. 10, 2013 at 6:00 p.m.5.09 Approval of Resolution No. 2013-45, A Resolution Proclaiming September as Spinal Cord Injury Awareness Month5.10 Approval of Site Development Agreement Between Liberty Property Limited Partnership and the City of Rogers - Phase III5.11 Comprehensive Plan UpdateHall pulled 5.01 because of his absence.
Ihli moved, Stanley seconded a motion to approve the consent agenda less 5.01. Motion carried. 5-0.
5.01Jakel moved, Ihli seconded a motion to approve 5.01. Motion carried 4-0-1; Hall abstained.
6. Public HearingsNone.
7. General Business7.01 Accept Bids, Award Contract, and Authorize Construction Services for Kinghorn Lift Station, Forcemain, and Sanitary Sewer Extension ProjectEngineer Weiss provided a presentation on the bids received for the Kinghorn Industrial Park Lift Station, Forcemain, and Sanitary Sewer Extension Project. Weiss stated the Kinghorn property will be assessed for the project, with an assessment hearing on October 8, 2013. Substantial completion of the project should be in November. A total project cost of approximately $732,000.
Hall commented on the low bidder stating their horizontal drill bid is substantially less and wanted to make sure there wasn't a problem with their bid amount. Weiss stated they have been an aggressive bidder and is not aware of any problems with their bid.
Jakel moved, Hall seconded the motion to accept bids, award the project to Northdale Construction Co., Inc. in the amount of $463,814.12, and authorize construction services to be performed by WSB & Associates, Inc. in the amount of $49,750 for the Sanitary Sewer and Lift Station Improvements for the Kinghorn Industrial Park. Motion carried 5-0.
7.02 Authorize the Preparation of a Feasibility Report to Address Pavement Rehabilitation Projects for 2014Engineer Weiss stated the feasibility report will include recommendations for seal coat and crack filling operations for 2014, but will also address solutions for the streets in most need of rehabilitation at this time. Weiss commented on Mallard Estates and the east end of Industrial Boulevard as a potential rehabilitation project for 2014.
Jakel moved, Ihli seconded a motion to authorize the preparation of a feasibility report and approve a proposal from WSB & Associates for $17,500 for the 2014 pavement rehabilitation program. Motion carried 5-0.
8. Other BusinessNone.
9. Correspondence and Reports9.01 Rogers Park Board Meeting Minutes9.02 Elm Creek Watershed Management Commission Minutes9.03 July, 2013 FinancialsNo action taken.
10. ADJOURN TO CLOSE SESSION FOR DISCUSSION OF POTENTIAL PROPERTY ACQUISITION AND DISCUSSION OF POTENTIAL PROPERTY ACQUISITIONS RELATED TO THE HWY 101/CR 144 PROJECTBunting adjourned the meeting to closed session at 7:15 p.m.
Council reconvened from closed session at 8:55 p.m.
Attorney Thames stated Council discussed potential property acquisitions. Staff has been instructed and no action is taken by Council at this time.
11. ADJOURNJakel moved, Ihli seconded a motion to adjourn at 8:55 p.m. Motion carried 5-0.
Stacy ScharberAssistant City Administrator/Clerk