1. Call to Order. The regular meeting of the Council of the City of Rogers was called to order by Mayor Bunting on Tuesday, August 13, 2013 at 7:00 p.m. at Rogers Community Center, 21201 Memorial Drive, Rogers, MN, 55374.
Council present: Jay Bunting, Rick Ihli, Darren Jakel, and Maureen Stanley.Member excused: Don Hall.
Staff present: Jeff Beahen, Police Chief; Gary Buysse, Liquor Operations Manager; Jeff Carson, City Attorney; Steve Grittman, City Planner; John Seifert, Public Works Supt.; Stacy Scharber, Assistant City Administrator; Steve Stahmer, City Administrator; Bret Weiss, City Engineer; and Lisa Wieland, Finance Director.
2. Open ForumNone.
4. Approve AgendaMayor Bunting removed item 10, closed session, from the agenda.
5. Consent Agenda5.01 Approval of Minutes from July 23, 2013 Council Work Session and Minutes from July 23, 2013 City Council Meeting5.02 Approval of Bills and Claims5.03 Approval of a Conditional Use Permit to Camping World to Allow the Installation of an Above Ground 1000 gal. Propane Tank and Dispensing Unit, Located at 21200 Rogers Drive5.04 Approval of Resolution No. 2013-44, A Resolution Approving An Update to the Rogers 2030 Comprehensive Plan Rogers, Minnesota5.05 Approval of Special Event Permit for Mary Queen of Peace – Annual Fall Festival on Sept. 22, 2013 including One-Day Temporary On-Sale 3.2 Liquor License5.06 Approval of Special Event Permit for Hassan Elementary School – 1st Annual 5K on Sept. 28, 20135.07 Approval of Minnesota Lawful Gambling Exempt Permit to Conduct a Raffle for the Glen Bye Foundation on October 11, 2013 at The Wellstead (The Crown Room) located at 20500 S. Diamond Lake Rd.5.08 Approval of the Voting Equipment Lease Agreement with Hennepin County5.09 Authorize Distribution of the Environmental Assessment Worksheet (EAW) for the Kinghorn Industrial Park and Adjacent Property5.10 Hennepin County N.R.I.C.H. Grant5.11 Authorization to Accept Quote for Installation of Pavement at Downtown Municipal Lot5.12 Authorization to Purchase Sand/Salt Spreaders5.13 Approval to Hire Public Works Administrative Assistant/Receptionist removed from consent by staff5.14 Approval to Hire RAC Maintenance I5.15 Approval to Hire Police Officer Backfill5.16 Approval to Amend the 2012-2013 Equipment Certificates5.17 Memorial Tree Dedication5.18 Approve Rogers Social Media Policy5.19 Approval of CSO/CEO Position Description and ReclassificationBunting pulled item 5.04.Ihli moved, Stanley seconded a motion to approve the consent agenda less 5.04. Motion carried 4-0.
5.04Bunting asked that this item be brought back at the next agenda under General Business for discussion. Planner Grittman stated that the draft of the comp plan still needs to be circulated to surrounding communities. Council asked if we are under a deadline, Grittman stated no.Jakel moved, Stanley seconded a motion to table 5.04 until the next meeting as a General Business item. Motion carried 4-0.
6. Public HearingsNone.
7. General Business7.01 Authorization to Hire Sheila Cartney for the Position of City Planner/CD CoordinatorAdministrator Stahmer provided background on the process of recruiting Sheila Cartney as City Planner/Community Development Coordinator. Stahmer stated that Ms. Cartney has accepted the job offer presented. Ms. Cartney came forward and introduced herself.
Ihli moved, Jakel seconded a motion to hire Sheila Cartney as City Planner/Community Development Coordinator. Motion carried 4-0.
7.02 129th Speed Zone StudyEngineer Weiss stated the State has completed the speed study and two options have been provided. Option one is to post 129th Avenue 30 mph starting at Main Street then 40 mph from Brookside to the west. The second option being 35 mph starting at Main Street, then 40 mph from Red Fox Road to the west; which is the option staff is recommending.
Stanley raised concern with the 40 mph speed when there is a trail next to the road. Seifert stated it is a detached trail that extends to Oakwood.
Bunting stated keeping it slower to Red Fox Road makes sense with the amount of pedestrians that use that stretch of road.
Council questioned how quickly the signs can go up. Staff stated the Council action goes to MnDOT, then we receive a signed order and the signs can be posted.
Stanley moved, Ihli seconded a motion to post 129th Avenue 35 mph from Main Street to Red Fox Road, then 40 mph from Red Fox Road to Tucker Road. Motion carried 4-0.
8. Other BusinessNone.
9. Correspondence and Reports9.01 July Police Report9.02 Transportation Task Force Minutes9.03 Jaws of Life Equipment Purchase
10. (cont.) ADJOURN TO CLOSE SESSION FOR DISCUSSION OF POTENTIAL PROPERTY ACQUISITIONS RELATED TO THE HWY 101/CR 144 PROJECT
11. AdjournJakel moved, Ihli seconded a motion to adjourn at 7:12 p.m. Motion carried 4-0.
Stacy ScharberAssistant City Administrator/Clerk