1. Call to Order. The regular meeting of the Council of the City of Rogers was called to order by Mayor Grimm on Tuesday, December 13, 2011 at 7:00 p.m. at Rogers Community Center, 21201 Memorial Drive, Rogers, MN, 55374.
Council present: Rob Bell, Jay Bunting, Jason Grimm, Rick Ihli, and Maureen Stanley.
Staff present: Gary Buysse, Liquor Operations Manager; Stacy Doboszenski, Assistant City Administrator; Steve Grittman, City Planner; John Seifert, Public Works Supt.; Steve Stahmer, City Administrator; Bret Weiss, City Engineer; and Lisa Wieland, Finance Director.
2. Open ForumNone.
4. Approve agendaThe following item was added under Other Business:8.01 Discussion on rescheduling second meeting of December
5. Consent Agenda5.01 Approval of Minutes from November 22, 2011 Budget Workshop and Minutes from November 22, 2011 City Council Meeting5.02 Approval of Bills and Claims5.03 Approval of Resolution No. 2011–60, A Resolution Providing Municipal Approval to the Issuance of a Minnesota Lawful Gambling License to the Rogers Lions Club to Conduct Pull-Tab Sales at Maynard's Restaurant, located at 21415 136th Ave. N effective January 1, 20125.04 Government Accounting Standards Board (GASB) Statement No. 54 – Fund Balance Reporting and Governmental Fund Type Definitions (Resolution No. 2011-61 and Resolution No. 2011-62)5.05 Federal Requirements for Tax Exempt Bonds (Resolution No. 2011-63)5.06 Approval of Resolution No. 2011-64, A Resolution Reducing Debt Levy Requirement for General Obligation CIP Bonds, Series 2011B, for 20125.07 Scope of Services to Update Future Commercial Storm Water Accounts5.08 Approval of Resolution No. 2011-65, A Resolution Authorizing the City of Rogers to Participate in the Minnesota Greenstep Cities Program5.09 Declaration of Restricted Covenants for Department of Natural Resources W-2905.10 2012 Snow Plow Map5.11 Approval of the First Year Lexipol Contract5.12 Schedule Closed Session for City Administrator Annual Performance Review for Dec. 27
Bunting pulled 5.08.
5.10 was further explained by Public Works Supt. Seifert.
Bell moved, Bunting seconded a motion to approve the consent agenda less 5.08. Motion carried 5-0.
5.08 Bunting stated the second page in on the resolution under the fourth "whereas" he would like to strike the words "and climate". Bunting moved, Bell seconded to approve 5.08 with those corrections. Motion carried 5-0.
6. Public Hearings6.01 Public Meeting to Set the 2012 Final Budget and Levy CertificationAdministrator Stahmer reviewed the highlights of the 2012 budget and the changes from the preliminary levy in September to tonight's recommended final levy.
Major variables include:• State imposed levy limits not in place for 2012• A significant $500,000 reduction in excess rate TIF revenues• State MVHC moves to a HMVE• Decreased market values• New abatement levy coinciding with the expiration of TIF District No. 1• Increased debt levy to begin levying for existing Public Works Building debt• Increased equipment debt levy• Expanded service requirements related to annexation
The total proposed final levy is $4,636,907; a reduction of $133,331 from the preliminary levy certified in September.
Stahmer explained a majority of residents will receive a decrease in their local tax bill with the exception of the Hassan phase II properties. Those properties will start paying the City tax rate for the first time in 2012.
Grimm stated he does not have questions. Once again, he thinks we have done well, keeping budget as flat as possible even during trying times. Grimm thanked staff for doing a great job.
Stanley asked why work comp is going up in the fire department. Wieland stated it ties to the wages and the wages were increased in the fire department based on call volume.
Stanley asked Public Works Supt. Seifert about weed, trees, and grass control. Seifert explained the increase is the Lynde McLeod brush drop-off.
Bell thanked staff for their fiscal responsibility and for guiding Council through the process.
• Open for public commentMayor Grimm opened the meeting for public comment at 7:16 p.m.
No comments were registered from the audience.
Bell moved, Stanley seconded a motion to close the public input portion of the meeting at 7:16 p.m. Motion carried 5-0.
• Approval of Resolution No. 2011-66, A Resolution Setting the 2012 General and Special LeviesWieland explained there are two separate motions needed; one to adopt the resolution and the second to adopt the budget and supporting documentation.
Bunting moved, Ihli seconded a motion to adopt Resolution No. 2011 - 66, A Resolution Setting the 2012 General and Special Levies (General Levy $3,702,519 and Special Levies $934,388 for a total 2012 tax levy of $4,636,907). Motion carried 5-0.
Bunting moved, Bell seconded a motion to adopt the 2012 budget and supporting documentation. Motion carried 5-0.
7. General Business7.01 Approval of 2012 Fee Schedule, Administrative Citations, RAC Advertising Schedule and Utility Rates:• Ordinance No. 2011-08 An Ordinance Adopting the 2012 Master Fee Schedule for the City of Rogers and Summary Ordinance No. 2011-08Wieland addressed the Council regarding the revised fee schedule stating any changes made were highlighted in yellow. Wieland commented on some of the changes made to the fee schedule. Wieland stated on the final page are the increases to the utilities based on the rate study previously prepared by Ehlers in 2009; water and storm water were increased by 3.5% and storm water by 8%.
Bunting moved, Stanley seconded a motion to approve Ordinance No. 2011-08, the 2012 Master Fee Schedule, Administrative Citation/Code Violation Fine Schedule and Rogers Activity Center Advertising Schedule to become effective on January 1, 2012. Motion carried 5-0.
• Ordinance No. 2011-09 An Ordinance Establishing Utility Rates for Sanitary Sewer, Water and Storm Water Within the City of Rogers and Summary Ordinance No. 2011-09Bunting moved, Bell seconded a motion to approve Ordinance No. 2011-09, An Ordinance Establishing Utility Rates for Sanitary Sewer, Water & Storm Water within the City of Rogers to become effective on January 1, 2012. Motion carried 5-0.
8. Other Business8.01 Discussion on rescheduling second meeting of DecemberStaff informed Council the final Hassan meeting is occurring on December 28th. The only thought was to have a meeting following the last Hassan meeting.
Bell moved, Ihli seconded a motion to change the regularly scheduled Council meeting from December 27th to December 29, 2011 at 7:00 p.m. Motion carried 5-0.
Bell moved, Ihli seconded a motion to reschedule 5.12 (from consent agenda) to December 29, 2011. Motion carried 5-0.
9. Correspondence and Reports9.01 November Police Report
No action was taken.
10. AdjournBunting moved, Bell seconded a motion to adjourn at 7:27 p.m.
Respectfully submitted,Stacy DoboszenskiAssistant City Administrator/Clerk